Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hydlide Time


I said there'd be a Hydlide post this weekend, and damn it I was serious. I bought Hydlide at a flea market as a kid sometime around 1998, and played it for a few minutes before deciding it was total shit. From time to time, I'd try it out, but never accomplish a thing. Years later, the internet confirmed what I already knew... but perhaps we were all wrong. Thus this experiment:

I'm going to attempt to play Hydlide, I hope I don't die (irl).

Listening to the music is out of the question, but I also want to hear the sound effects. I'll be using an emulator to disable the music channel, and playing some Daft Punk etc. instead. Instead of using the in-game password system, I'll be using save states. As far as I can tell, this won't provide me with any gameplay advantages, as long as I don't save in the middle of battles and stuff.

Ok. 

Wish me luck :(

8 comments:

Matthew St. Cyr said...

Good luck, buddy! I'm looking forward to hearing how it went!

Chalgyr said...

Good luck. If this game's as bad as I remember, I fully expect you to take up drinking (if you haven't already by the time you read this) lol

8bitcity said...

Thanks guys! I won't spoil it yet, but let's just say Hydlide is still open on my computer...

Matthew St. Cyr said...

Hydlide & booze seems like a pretty logical combination! :-) I may have to give it an emulator go myself!

Chalgyr said...

ROFL@Matt St. Cyr

Matthew St. Cyr said...

Okay.....well, I may have started the booze too early because I didn't get past the title screen really. I fell asleep on the keyboard. Also, it was like three in the morning.....

8bitcity said...

Nice! That's truly hardcore. You know you are serious when you pass out on your NES or NES equivalent.

I salute you.

Game still in progress... not sure what to do exactly and I think I have to kill 300 very annoying mobs.

It's going to happen, but not today. Not today. Today I play Afternburner II.

Matthew St. Cyr said...

What can I say? I'm a bad ass like that sometimes! ;-)

Afterburner II is pretty great. Gotta listen to Kenny Loggins on repeat while playing though!