Thursday, April 11, 2013

Wizards and Warriors NES Box Scans


Back in the day box art was badass. Look at that dude, he's about to seriously fuck up that goblin. Surprisingly  the copytext and story for W&W isn't total corporate vomit. More of a Lord of the Rings meets Le Morte D'Arthur while hooking up with a drunk Ghost 'n Goblins.

In a world where magic reigns supreme in almost every game or movie, it's refreshing to have Wizards and Warriors break the trend. "Yo! magic is shit dog, hack some bitches up, holla!" says the box.

The game taunts you by promising "untold riches" to the "ultimate knight warrior." Are you an ultimate enough warrior to knight the shit out of this game? Of course you aren't, you probably use savestates. Pussy.


4 comments:

Chalgyr said...

Wow, does that ever bring back some memories. This was one of my earlier NES games - a weekend rental for me. I haven't touched it in ages - wonder how badly it holds up now? lol

8bitcity said...

Holds up well! The infinite continues is actually pretty damn nice. Want to challenge yourself? Don't continue. Want to beat the game, find all the keys, and solve all the puzzles? Then you can do that as well.

Modern platformers like Bit.Trip Runner and Super Meat Boy embrace the infinite lives mechanic, although W&W does continue you exactly where you left off.

I lost my cart, so I ordered another for only 7 bucks (shipping included) yesterday.

Got the manual scans, gonna turn them into PNGs and upload em later for ya.

Chalgyr said...

Nice - that'll be cool to see. I recall dying lots, but couldn't recall the infinite right-where-you-were-at continues, so that's rather nice. What was the sequel to this that came out a year or two later? I can't recall it's name, and I'm pretty sure I didn't like it as much.

Matthew St. Cyr said...

Ironsword was the sequel....it was actually a pretty cool game, I thought.

The first W&W was a blind buy for me and I remember that my parents got it for me on a random trip to the mall....I remember seeing that box art and thinking how bad ass the game must be. I was a little disappointed at first with all the jumping. I was expecting more of a hack 'n' slash kinda deal.

Once I got used to it though, I was on a nonstop mission to destroy Malkil.

It took me quite a while, but I finally beat the game one Saturday afternoon.